Train-the-trainer for Guarding Services
(Now Open for Enrolment - for invited trainees only)
Training Mode:Hybrid (Face-to-face + Online)
Venue:To be announced
- Refer to course information below; or
- Click here to download the course flyer in full.
- Click here to start your online enrolment process; or
- Click here to download Enrolment Form and email to [email protected]
Enquiries:Call or Whatsapp +852 93381281 or Email: [email protected]
- A copy of your HKID card, proof of payment and proof of academic/professional qualifications as specified in the joining criteria must accompany your enrolment otherwise your Enrolment cannot be completed.
- Your Enrolment will be confirmed by email at least 1 week before the course starts. Once your enrolment is confirmed, course fees are not refundable.
- HKIOS has full authority to reject any application for enrolment.
Who Should Attend?
- Possess not less than 5 years of experience in Guard Supervision, and
- Have completed training or achieved knowledge and skills equivalent to QF Level 3 for Guarding Services (e.g. RPL), and
- Be educated to Secondary 5 or above
- Written Tests using scenario-based questions
- Practical Exercises
- Course-end Integrated Assessment
Award and Recognition
- Receive a “Certificate of Completion”
- Are deemed to have achieved the knowledge and skills equivalent to QF Level 4 for training security personnel to perform guarding services
- Will be recognised by HKIOS and IPSA HK as Qualified Security Trainers for guarding services courses at QF Level 1 & 2.
- Train security personnel to perform guarding services
- Take system approach in managing training
- Keep training materials relevant, accurate and current
- Transfer knowledge and skills using various techniques of instruction
- Evaluate training outcome to meet the needs of the organization, the tasks and the trainees and continuously improve training
- Training and License Requirements of Guarding Services
- The Basic and Progressive Guarding Training Curriculum and Quality Assurance System
- Understanding Adult Learners
- Competencies and Skills for Training
- The Training Management System
- Identifying Training Needs
- Planning and Designing Training
- Developing Training Materials and Teaching Plans
- Assessment and Evaluation
- Principles and Techniques of Instruction
- Teaching Aids and Technologies
- Written Tests, Exercises and Assignments
Total Learning Hours²
Maximum Class Size
Note 1: Depending on Covid-19 situation, face-to-face class may be substituted with online teaching.Note 2: Total Learning Hours include, where relevant, hours spent on Self-study, Classes, Examinations and Assignments.
QF for Security Services
|QF Level:||Level 4|
|QF Recognition:||Not Yet Initiated|
Subscribe to our newsletter now!
- Penny served in the Hong Kong Police in 1976-1993, primarily in criminal investigation with special focus on commercial crime investigation and crime prevention. She left as a Detective Senior Inspector.
- Penny served in two international banks in Asia. She served in the Standard Chartered Bank in 1993-2000 and left as its Area Head – Security & Operations Risk Management for Hong Kong, China, and Northeast Asia. She also served in the Bank of America and later Bank of America Merrill Lynch in 2006-2011 as its Regional Director of Security and Regional Director of Investigations in Asia.
- Penny has been a security risk consultant since 2000. She was the Associate Managing Director of Kroll Associates (Asia) Ltd. in 2000-2003 and has been the Principal Consultant of “K2 Consulting Co. Ltd. (K2)” since 2011.
- Penny founded K2 in 2003, which initially focused on offering security management training and later expanded to security consulting services. K2 had been the training partner of the “International Professional Security Association – Hong Kong (IPSA HK)” until the establishment of the Hong Kong Institute of Security in 2022.
Penny has been a pioneer in promoting professional development of the security services in Hong Kong since the 1990’s:
- Penny was the Chairperson of IPSA HK in 1993-2003 and 2009-2011 and led in re-defining the criteria for membership advancement to include professional qualifications and practical working experiences.
- Penny was an appointed member of the Security Services Training Board of the Vocational Training Council (“VTC”) in 1998-2006 and led in the first manpower survey of the security industry in Hong Kong, among others.
- Penny was a Board Director of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners - Hong Kong Chapter and served as its President in 2009-2011 and Director of Training in 2007-2009. She was instrumental in developing and launching the Investigations Training programme of the Hong Kong Chapter.
- In 2013-2018, Penny was appointed by the Education Bureau as a member of the Industry Technical Advisory Committee of the Qualifications Framework for Security Services. She led in the establishment of the Specification of Competency Standards (“SCS”). On assignment by the VTC, she authored several SCS-based training packages as essential learning and assessment guidelines for security training. She has also been appointed as the Assessor and Question Writer of the Recognition of Prior Learning Programme under the QF for Security Services since 2021.
Penny received her security training in the Home Office in UK, the Edith Cowan University in Australia, and the University of Louisville in the US. She also holds a Diploma in Adult Education and Training by the HKUSPACE.
Penny is a Fellow Member of IPSA HK, Diplomate of the International Institute of Security, Certified Business Continuity Professional of the Disaster Recovery Institute, and Certified Fraud Examiner of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners.
2022.11.04 – 丙類保安工作的最高年齡限制由55 歲提升至60 歲
請參閱：保安及護衞業管理委員會 (SGSIA ) - 簽發保安人員許可證準則 https://www.sb.gov.hk/chi/links/sgsia/pdffile/GN%20-%20Criteria%20for%20Security%20Personnel%20Permit%20(Chi).pdf
2022.11.04 – upper age limit for Cat C security work raised from 55 to 60
Please refer to: SGSIA - Criteria for Issuing a Security Personnel Permit https://www.sb.gov.hk/eng/links/sgsia/pdf/GN%20-%20Criteria%20for%20Security%20Personnel%20Permit%20(Eng).pdf
Education and training institutions can now make use of this VQP to design relevant training courses and security practitioners can also make more structured plans for their career and personal development in the security industry.
The Authority consists of a Chairman and five Members appointed by the
Chief Executive, as well as a representative of the Secretary for Security. A
secretariat has been set up to provide day-to-day administrative support to the
Mr. Stephen YIP Chun-nam, B.B.S, M.H., J.P.
Dr Terence CHAN Ho-wah
Mr YIU Ming, M.H.
The Honourable KWOK Wai-keung, J.P.
Ms KUOK Hui-kwong
Mr LAU Ka-keung, B.B.S, M.H., J.P.
A representative of the Secretary for Security
According to the conviction records in the previous two years published by the Labour Department (https://www.labour.gov.hk/common/osh/pdf/Conviction_record_en.pdf), in April 2023, Thorn Security (Hong Kong) Limited was convicted of an offence of “Failing to ensure workman wearing suitable safety helmet” and fined $6,000.
According to various media reports, the Labour Department has completed its investigation in March this year into the incident at a Maternal and Child Health Centre in Yau Ma Tei on August 15 last year, in which a female security guard was pressed by a toppled leaf of the gate and died. Wise Security Limited, the employer of the female security guard, was summonsed for an offence of “Failing to ensure the safety and health of employees” while four other occupiers were also summonsed. The case is still under trial. (Case reference: KTS 3046-3050/2023).
根據勞工處過往兩年的定罪記錄(https://www.labour.gov.hk/common/osh/pdf/Conviction_record_en.pdf), 2023年4月 Thorn Security (Hong Kong) Limited 被定罪 “Failing to ensure workman wearing suitable safety helmet”及罰款$6000。
而根據各媒體的新聞報導，去年8月15日油麻地母嬰健康院發生鐵閘倒塌事故意外導致一名43歲女保安被壓中身亡事故，勞工處已於今年三月份完成調查，並票控其僱主威智護衛有限公司「沒有確保僱員的安全及健康」，還有其他四個相關的處所佔用人亦被票控，案件尚在審理中（案件編號：KTS 3046- 3050/ 2023）。
HKQF for Security Services - how to obtain recognition under the "Recognition of Prior Learning" mechanism
(CSI / IPSA HK / HKIOS members, students and employees are encouraged to attend)
(For CSI / IPSA HK / HKIOS members, students and employees only)
Design thinking is a people-oriented way of thinking and design that solves problems and innovates. In this seminar, it is our great honor to invite two authorities in design thinking and innovation management – Mr. David Chung and Ms. Yan Choi to introduce design thinking and talk about how to apply it to improve the labor force and operational efficiency of the security industry.
Founder and Managing Partner, InnoEdge Consulting Ltd.
Board Member, Global Innovation Management Institute
Senior Consultant, InnoEdge Consulting Ltd.
Certified Instructor, Design Thinking
Chief Innovation Officer, Shop! Asia
(歡迎 CSI / IPSA HK / HKIOS 會員、學員、屬員及保安業內人士參加）